Re: AfterStep on Solaris 2.6, Ultra10?

KerNeL PaNiC (panic@primary.net)
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 21:54:22 -0500

don smith wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the tip, maybe its a difference between
> Solaris 2.6 and 2.5.1, but i get "can't open display
> at xyz:0.0" where xyz is my machine name. xyz is
> returned by " printenv |grep DISPLAY ".

One of the things you might want to try is to type "xhost + xyz" where zyx is your
host name.  This seems to be a security thing when the user is root.

> I also downloaded and compiled a new xpm, libXpm.so.4.11.
>
> Oh, this happens on a Sun where i compiled and installed
> AfterStep 1.6.10
>
> >From: Henning Percy <percy@ferndown.tt.slb.com>
> >Subject: Re: AfterStep on Solaris 2.6, Ultra10?
>
> >       I run Afterstep on an Ultra-5 running Solaris 2.5.1. I just choose the
> >command line login option from the X login screen and then type 'startx' once
> >in. Works for me. I did although have to download the latest version of the Xpm
> >library, because the one shipped with 2.5.1 was out of date (did not support
> >color closeness).
> >
> >       Henning.
> >
> >On Mon, 26 Apr 1999, don smith wrote:
> >
> >> I'd like to run AS on Sun hardware now but can't figure
> >> out how to stop the current CDE or OpenWin window manager.

I have some info back at work about how to add different desktops to the 'dtlogin'
selection menu.  I had afterstep and enlightenment running on my SPARC20 at work
about 7 months ago.  Took them off just because I didn't like running them in 8-bit
mode.  I believe the directory where to start is /usr/dt/config.  If that isn't it,
just search around the /usr/dt directory structure, as well as search the web for
"Solaris" "CDE" and "desktops".  I believe that is what I did.

Matthew R. Hamilton    Senior Systems Analyst -- miSOFT Inc.  (A division of Metters
Industries)
Sun Certified Systems Engineer