Re: Curiosity about other Window Managers

Albert Dorofeev (albert@tigr.net)
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 10:42:51 +0200

On Fri, Apr 02, 1999 at 03:22:07AM -0500, Coplan wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Apr 1999, David Mihm wrote:
>
> > 	You mean there's other window managers?  Motif - costs money,
> > looks ugly; use lesstif.
> >
> Okie...in the fear of looking stupid...I got a question:  What is
> Motif/Lesstif?  What can it do for me?  In otherwords, is it worthwhile to
> install, or is it another WM?

I may be wrong but I think Motif/Lesstif are not window
managers. They are X11 toolkits and may be used under
any window managers. I think when someone says "Motif"
one means the CDE window manager.

On the subject of window managers, I did not try many, only
fvwm, AfterStep and WindowMaker. I like AS best (surprised?)
>From what I heard E is very big an slow although if you
have a machine powerful enough it will provide quite a flashy
appearance. I used CDE on Solaris and that window manager
that comes with Irix (whatever it's called) - I did not like
them at all.