Re: 800x600 would like 1088x675

Coplan (coplan@thunder.ocis.temple.edu)
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 10:11:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, Honeyfield wrote:

> Wow what a diference 800x600 makes, well compared to my previous
> setting at 320x200 in vga16! Now I would like to know how to up it
> even higher, which config file do I need to manipulate and how am I
> supposed to manipulate it. When I manipulated /etc/X11/XF86Config on
> my Debian Hamm it didn't change anything. I went though and modified
> anything that said 800x600 to 1088x675, my screen is supposed to be
> able to handle that. But  the modifications did not do anything. I'm
> willing to stay at 8x6 if I  have to but am interested in seeing all I
> can.

You can't just replace the settings for the 800x600 with anything, there's
a whole system to it.  I would suggest commenting everything out that
doesn't say 1024x768, and see if X will start.  Better yet, pipe the
command to a file (startx > textfile 2>&1) and check the output of the
file.  There should be a ** next to every mode that _should_ work.

Cheers,

Coplan                                  /"\
------                                  \ /     ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN
Immortal Coil.Tracking                   X        AGAINST HTML MAIL
                                        / \
------
Your object is to save the world, while still leading a pleasant life.