Re: Changing default font

Greg Anderson (Nifft@FutureRealms.com)
Sat, 03 Apr 1999 23:42:19 -0500

Coplan wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, cajun wrote:
>
> > Xfontselect must be an addin ?  Not on my system (RH5.2).
> >
> > Mike
> >

> I'm not exactly sure what it's called.  If you're useing the default
> menus for the start menu, then it would be under Applications|system I
> think (I'm in windoze95 now, so I can't check -- Wish Autodesk would port
> to Linux).  The program is in the path, so it should load from there.

xfontsel is a great tool!  I've been looking for something like this for
a long time to demystify the  -adobe-times-bold-r-*-*-18-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
font args that had left me saying ARG!  Thanks.

I found this web site very helpful in setting up my default X fonts:
http://www.frii.com/~meldroc/Font-Deuglification.html

After following his advice for setting up my XF86Config file, I now start
my X with the command:

startx -- -bpp 16 -dpi 100

I'm running my monitor at 1280x1024 and with the font paths set correctly
and my default being 100 dpi I can see clearly now:)
--

Greg Anderson
http://www.FutureRealms.com/