Re: Sugestions for AfterStep

Jeroen Asselman (j.asselman@writeme.com)
Fri, 07 May 1999 19:11:49 +0000


David Mihm wrote:

> >Dithering, something like windowmaker does. When using the gradient
> >option with AfterStep you can exactly see where one color goes into the
> >next color. WindowMaker uses some kind of ditering so you see one smooth
> >gradient. It just give a nicer look.
>
>         AfterStep is far better than Window Maker in this respect.  You
> can actually define the number of colors to use in the "dithering"
> process.  It's the 'MaxColors #' option in the look file, e.g.
>         MyStyle "focused_window_style"
>           ForeColor     #daa520
>           BackColor     grey30
>           MaxColors     128
>           TextStyle     0
>           ~MyStyle
> As you can see, 128 colors in a dither gives a very smooth transition.

Only when I use 32 bpp. In 16 bpp mode you can still see when one color goes
into the next color. When I do this with WindowMaker (which I personally
don't like... Just to show my point). And when I use closly it uses dithering
so when one color goes into the other, the colors are mixed together ...
(Just like most inkject printers do)

> >Modifiable borderwith of the startmenu,
> >Start module, window layout module so (a very small and stable?)
> >AfterStep only manages the modules. Adding features to differents
> >modules seems to me much easier than adding to one big file... All the
> >user input should of course be managed by AfterStep itself, and just
> >pass all the input it gots (even mouse movents (?) so we could make a
> >module to make a nicer mouse cursor) to the modules.
>
>         Not sure on what your point is here, although it sounds like you
> are describing the current operation.

Yes and no, I know there are some modules like wharf and animation. So why
can't we also put the startmenu in a seperated module and the layout of the
windows in a seperated module (that's why I mentioned my next - respawn -
suggestion). I think the smaller everything is made, the easier it is to bug
fix (because you don't have to fix already working modules).

> >A respawn option? If a module crashes or exists which never should exit
> >(like a startmenu module) have it restarted immediatly again.
>
>         The startmenu isn't a Module, it is in ternal to afterstep binary;
> thus afterstep is the one exiting.  Some confusing might exist thanks to
> Red Hat on this issue; If the menu appears to not appear when you invoke
> it, remove the wmconfig rpm as described in the README.Redhat and
> README.rpm on both the ftp and web site.

Although I am using RedHat, this is not what I meant. With the startmenu
module I was pointing to a non-existing module. Perhaps I'd rather mentioned
the Gnome module (which sometimes (very rare) tends to crash).  So what I
meant was, when this modules stops, it automatically gets restarted again so
the Gnome-pager won't get no-info for changing desks and so on...

> >Clean up the todo list ... It looks like some things are already
> >finished and still on the todo list.
>
>         Well, well well, maybe no TODO list is even better. :P

As far as  I know, todo lists always grow ;-) ...

> >I would of course like to add these options myself if I could. However,
> >I don't know if the devellopers would like these extra thingies... And
> >second, (don't hit me) there is that little comment in most of the
> >sources I takes me a long time before I understand what happens (I once
> >wanted to make some modifications to the Animate module, and it took me
> >some hours before I finally could add the option I wanted ....). I
> >myself always try to add comments for at least every function and if
> >possible every line I program so someone who has never seen the program
> >should be able to read my comments to see what happens. I don't want to
> >learn the devellopers a lesson. (Ok, this is probably wasn't correct
> >English) I just want to make my point.
>
>         Open Source is all about user input and conding.  If you'd like
> something and know how to produce the code, go for it!  Help is always
> welcomed. :)

The problem is I know how to produce code. However, because of (almost) the
lack of comments it takes me some time before I finally understand what one
function is doing.


--
+--   Greetings, Jeroen            --+--  ICQ UIN : 4331855       --+
| E-mail: Jeroen.Asselman@pemail.net | etv.hshaarlem.nl/~jeroena    |
+-                                 --+--                           -+
  +--    Have a nice LinuX, currently running kernel 2.2.6      --+




--
   WWW:   http://www.afterstep.org/
   FTP:   ftp://ftp.afterstep.org/
   MAIL:  http://www.calderasystems.com/linuxcenter/forums/afterstep.html