Re: Sugestions for AfterStep

Jeroen Asselman (j.asselman@writeme.com)
Sat, 08 May 1999 16:16:15 +0000

Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> On Fri, 7 May 1999, Jeroen Asselman wrote:
>
> > The problem is I know how to produce code. However, because of (almost) the
> > lack of comments it takes me some time before I finally understand what one
> > function is doing.
>
> I couldn't program my way out of a paper bag, so I hope others will
> forgive me if what I'm suggesting is sacrilege, but maybe once you
> understand a function that you thought was poorly commented, you could
> either comment the file & send it to the maintainer or write a brief
> comments file against the file version you have, to help others faced with
> your problem?  Possibly, the developer writing a particular area thought
> the code would be completely transparent, and so didn't need commenting
> (or whatever).  So, your notes might be useful to others.

Everyone has his own way of programming. I could of course comment others
work... However, if no-one wants to add comments to it's code (whether it is
finished or not) I could continue doing this. I mean, it isn't that much work to
add comment during the programming or when you are finished is it? It makes
maintaining a program some time later much easier...

Oh, and code being transparent, like : printf("Some text\n"); is of course
understandable by everyone ( I think) ... However, if someone likes to start
programming he/she could learn rather much of a well commented program.

> Again, I don't want to start any wars.  Hope I didn't.

Neither do I.

So what happens to the rest of my 'suggestions' ???

--
+--   Greetings, Jeroen            --+--  ICQ UIN : 4331855       --+
| E-mail: Jeroen.Asselman@pemail.net | etv.hshaarlem.nl/~jeroena    |