Re: Sugestions for AfterStep

Rafal Wierzbicki (rafal@mcss.cas.mcmaster.ca)
Sat, 8 May 1999 18:44:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 7 May 1999, Jeroen Asselman wrote:

Hello,

> Modifiable borderwith of the startmenu,
> Start module, window layout module so (a very small and stable?)
> AfterStep only manages the modules. Adding features to differents
> modules seems to me much easier than adding to one big file... All the
> user input should of course be managed by AfterStep itself, and just
> pass all the input it gots (even mouse movents (?) so we could make a
> module to make a nicer mouse cursor) to the modules.

 Modules carry a certain overhead... What you're suggesting here should be
 managed by afterstep and nothing else, modules waste memory, maybe waste
 isn't the right word, but certainly such a function should not be module
 managed.

> A respawn option? If a module crashes or exists which never should exit
> (like a startmenu module) have it restarted immediatly again.

  A respawn option is a good suggestion but this could be argued...
  Modules should not crash to begin with :)

> Clean up the todo list ... It looks like some things are already
> finished and still on the todo list.

  Yes, this most certainly needs an update..