Re: Sugestions for AfterStep

Jeroen Asselman (j.asselman@writeme.com)
Sun, 09 May 1999 02:34:39 +0000

Rafal Wierzbicki wrote:

> On Fri, 7 May 1999, Jeroen Asselman wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> > Modifiable borderwith of the startmenu,
> > Start module, window layout module so (a very small and stable?)
> > AfterStep only manages the modules. Adding features to differents
> > modules seems to me much easier than adding to one big file... All the
> > user input should of course be managed by AfterStep itself, and just
> > pass all the input it gots (even mouse movents (?) so we could make a
> > module to make a nicer mouse cursor) to the modules.
>
>  Modules carry a certain overhead... What you're suggesting here should be
>  managed by afterstep and nothing else, modules waste memory, maybe waste
>  isn't the right word, but certainly such a function should not be module
>  managed.

OK, than I drop this one.(Oh well,  I think this has to do because I like the
way a C++ program is made....)

> > A respawn option? If a module crashes or exists which never should exit
> > (like a startmenu module) have it restarted immediatly again.
>
>   A respawn option is a good suggestion but this could be argued...
>   Modules should not crash to begin with :)

True of course. However, nothing is perfect (some things come very close
though). Just see it as a backup, if the module fails... (or a program which
is started with this option)

--
+--   Greetings, Jeroen            --+--  ICQ UIN : 4331855       --+
| E-mail: Jeroen.Asselman@pemail.net | etv.hshaarlem.nl/~jeroena    |