Re: Swallow and Desk in Wharf

Ashley Ward (ashley@dcs.warwick.ac.uk)
Mon, 10 May 1999 17:55:31 +0100

Andrew Sullivan <asullivan@sprint.ca> writes:
> On Fri, 7 May 1999, Ashley Ward wrote:
>
> > Hi...
> >
> > Apologies for jumping straight in and asking a question before reading the
> > list, but I can't find an answer to this in the FAQ or man pages.
> >
> > I've got 'xmailbox' to appear, swallowed in Wharf. I want to be able to
> > click on this icon and have AfterStep change to the Mail Desk, which I can
> > do with the command 'Desk 0 2'.
> >
> > Unfortunately Wharf only accepts built in commands or Wharf commands, and I
> > can see no way to do two things at once. I've tried using a function, eg
> >
> > Function "Swallow-and-Move"
> > 	Swallow "xmailbox" xmailbox &
> > 	Desk 0 2
> > EndFunction
> > *Wharf xmailbox - Swallow-and-Move
> >
> > but Wharf cannot cope with function definitions, it seems.
> >
> > I cannot get xmailbox to execute something to perform this task, as
> > switching desks requires communication with AfterStep, I guess.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Ash.
>
> The trick here is to start your mail reader on desk 2 (use the
> StartsOnDesk function in the database).  Then, you should close it every
> time you're done, and when you click on the icon, you'll change desks when
> it opens.
>
> Alternatively, I bet, you could use the built-in "Warp" function.  I
> haven't really thought about how, but it _is_ an AS function, so it ought
> to work.

Thanks for the suggestion, but that isn't really what I want. The mailer I
use is 'mutt', which is a UNIX command line type thing, not a GUI. I tend
to leave a terminal window open in which I invoke mutt when I want to use
mail.

I would just like to be able to swallow the xmailbox into the Wharf and
make a click on it take me to the appropriate Desk.

Looks like it isn't possible without major restructuring of Wharf though
:(. Never mind. I might just make another icon below the xmailbox one in
Wharf whose only function is to take me to the mail desktop. That isn't
particularly neat or intuitive though.

Thanks...

Ash.

--
         Ashley Ward - Graduate Teaching Assistant - PhD year 1
    ashley@dcs.warwick.ac.uk - http://www.dcs.warwick.ac.uk/~ashley/