Re: Positioning Iconified Windows

Steve Ettorre (sme@nycap.rr.com)
Sun, 02 May 1999 16:46:43 +0000

Ethan wrote:

> On Sat, 1 May 1999, Steve Ettorre wrote:
>
> > For AS-1.7.90, I would like to have my windows iconify to the lower left
> > hand corner of the screen. For AS-1.6.10 I used the following entry for
> > the IconBox in my look file:
> >
> >      #IconBox                 54 21 -2 -2
> >      IconBox                 10 710 -2 -2
>
> Oops, the man page is deficient here.  I've added the following note to
> the man page to explain why this happens:
>
> The IconBox will normally be filled from left to right, then top to
> bottom.  However, if the right edge of the IconBox is closer to the
> right edge of the screen than the left edge of the IconBox is to the
> left edge of the screen, then it will be filled from right to left.
> Similarly for top to bottom.  For example, "2 2 -1 -1" will result in an
> IconBox which fills from right to left, then bottom to top.
>
> This note will be in my next patch.  The description may be a bit hard
> to follow; if someone has a better suggestion for wording, please
> respond in private email.
>
> > However, this is not working for 1.7.90. The windows iconify to the
> > lower right corner. Also, what do I need to set to not have windows
> > iconify on top of existing window icons?
>
> >From the afterstep man page:
>
> StubbornIconPlacement
> Specifies that icons should avoid being hidden behind windows placed
> over the IconBox by moving themselves around (dancing icons).
>
> The IconBox entry in the man page mentions StubbornIconPlacement.
>
> ----
> Ethan Fischer
> allanon@crystaltokyo.com
> http://members.xoom.com/allanon1
>
> --
>    WWW:   http://www.afterstep.org/
>    FTP:   ftp://ftp.afterstep.org/

Ethan-

If I am following you correctly, then some thing like:

     IconBox       10 710 -40 -1

Should put the icons near the lower left corner and keep them away from the
lower right edge of the screen where I have the wharf. In fact, this seemed
to work. However, as I continue to iconify windows, they start going first to
the lower right corner and then to the upper left corner. I don't understand
what's going on - any further recommendations?

Thanx,
-S.

--
Steve Ettorre