Re: A Feature Request

Michael Stenner (mstenner@phy.duke.edu)
Wed, 19 May 1999 11:27:53 -0400 (EDT)

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but this might be it :)
I install afterstep at work, where I am not root, so I put the "global"
config files in $HOME/pkg/AfterStep-1.6.10
the per-user stuff still goes in G/L/A, though.  The way to do what I do
is this:

cd /home/einstein/mstenner/pkg/AfterStep-1.6.10/
mkdir -p bin
mkdir -p share
mkdir -p man/man1
./configure --prefix=/home/einstein/mstenner/pkg/AfterStep-1.6.10
make
make install

I then make symlinks for all of the manpages and afterstep binaries.
Afterstep will automatially find the stuff in share.

Hope that helps!
					-Michael

On Wed, 19 May 1999, Martin DiViaio wrote:

>I haven found any way to do this in the documentation. If it's
>available, I'm sorry for wasting everyone's time.
>
>I would like to be able to specify the configuration files directory at
>runtime. I know that you can specify a .steprc file but this isn't what
>I'm talking about. I would like to be able to give AS a directory name
>that would read the config files like the ones in the G/L/A directory.
>
>I am currently running AS 1.6.10 and am about to switch to 1.7.102.
>
>--
>                    /)-._    Wednesday, 19 May 99 at 10:08:24
>                   Y. ' _]
>            ,.._   |`--"=    Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor
>           /    "-/  `.\     of life, take big bites. Moderation is for
>  /)  sk  |   |_     `\|___  monks.
>- Lazarus Long, a fictional character created by Robert Heinlein
>
>--
>   WWW:   http://www.afterstep.org/
>   FTP:   ftp://ftp.afterstep.org/
>   MAIL:  http://www.calderasystems.com/linuxcenter/forums/afterstep.html

  Michael Stenner			Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics	  mstenner@phy.duke.edu
  Box 90305, Durham N.C. 27708-0305