Re: Afterstep on IRIX - Help!

Ethan (allanon@crystaltokyo.com)
Wed, 26 May 1999 13:46:05 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 26 May 1999, Julian Richardson wrote:

> I'm trying to get Afterstep 1.6.10 built / installed on an SGI O200
> machine running IRIX 6.5 and have had limited success so far...

Ooo, neat.  Wish I had one of those to test on. :)

> I ran configure which went OK, then ran make. Initially the build died
> when trying to compile x_pager.c due to the following line:
>
>     if ((shape = alloca (squares_num * sizeof (XRectangle))) == NULL)
>
> basically the build was complaining about not being able to assign an
> int to the 'shape' variable. I ended up casting the return from alloca()
> to 'XRectangle *' before assigning which the compiler swallowed OK, but
> not knowing that much C I have no idea if that's causing some, if not
> all of the problems that follow...   (I also needed to add an include
> for alloc.h into the same file before things would compile).

Hm.  We really shouldn't be using alloca().  Try replacing alloca() with
safemalloc():

if ((shape = safemalloc (squares_num * sizeof (XRectangle))) == NULL)

... and add a free(shape) just before the end of the function.  This will
be in my next patch.

> Now, the SGI doesn't seem to like .xinitrc in my home directory and
> always runs it's own default window manager when I connect via XDM - I
> still need to look into that and fix it. So, I start afterstep by
> killing the process for the default SGI window manager and then starting
> afterstep from the shell.

I'm surprised this works; usually the X session hinges on the window
manager, and ends when the window manager dies.  Try tracking down the
xdm session config file (usually ~/.Xsession) and setting your window
manager to AfterStep.

> This is where my problems start. Firstly, afterstep starts but my Pager
> appears for a few seconds and then disappears. I get a whopping 132MB
> core file left in my home dir for my trouble (the machine's got a GB of
> memory!), but no other apparent indication of a problem. Is this due to
> my hack to the x_pager..c file mentioned above, or likely to be something
> else? How can I tell?

No idea.  Since you've got a core, maybe you could do a backtrace on it?

> Secondly, I can't pick up my existing shell windows with the mouse and
> move them around, nor do I get any sort of menu when clicking with the
> left or right mouse buttons on the desktop. Is that a pager-related
> problem, or just due to the way I'm killing off the default SG window
> manager and starting afterstep from a shell?

This sounds like either AfterStep has hung, or can't find your config
files (and thus has no keyboard/mouse bindings).  There should be
warnings if the config files weren't found.  Is there any evidence
AfterStep is still functioning?

> Fourthly (and finally!) afterstep complains about not being able to find
> 'xli' on startup; I looked and such a binary isn't present on the
> system. I don't get any background to my desktop, nor do I get any
> 'icons' on my shell window titlebars - no minimize, close button etc.

Sounds like libXpm (and maybe libjpeg and libpng) aren't being found by
configure.  I highly recommend getting libXpm, as the default graphics in
AfterStep require it.

----
Ethan Fischer
allanon@crystaltokyo.com