Re: More problems buidling Afterstep on SunOS 5.5.1

Albert Dorofeev (albert@mail.dma.be)
Fri, 28 May 1999 10:34:39 +0200

On Thu, May 27, 1999 at 11:36:20PM -0400, Sarwat Khan wrote:
> Well, I've got more roadblocks. I'm going to list steps from the FAQ and
> problems I have with them. This is the part that talks about installing
> when not root.

This part is not quite up to date (or so it seems).
The directory tree structure has changed and the pathes
are now different.

> It says that all paths are relative to the AfterStep source directory. I
> assume this means the src directory, which is in the directory where
> configure is.
>
> > 1.Copy afterstep/afterstep to $HOME/bin/.
>
> Ok, done.
>
> > 2.Copy modules/*/(binaries) to $HOME/bin/.
>
> Huh? There's no modules/, and I don't really know how to tell what's a
> module. So I copied all the binaries in the subdirectories of src/ (like
> src/Animate/Animate) into $HOME/bin.

Yes, this is correct. The AS binary and modules are in src/*

> > 3.Copy apps/*/(binaries) to $HOME/bin/.
>
> I have no idea what the apps binaries are. Hopefully it was handled by
> what I did in #2.

Apps are no longer a part of the AS distribution. You have
to install them separately.

> > 4.Copy GNUstep/ to $HOME/.
>
> I couldn't find a GNUstep directory. I tried making a
> ~/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep, and put in the contents of the afterstep/
> directory (the one in the same place as configure).

Yes, this is the one, you are right.

> BTW, is there a way to change the requirement from GNUstep/Library to just
> Library?

I do not think so, unless you want to edit the AS source code...

> > 5.Edit $HOME/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep/base.* to reflect the above paths
> > in the lines starting with ModulePath and PixmapPath.
>
> Those files were in the afterstep/ directory mentioned above. I tried
> editing those, but at this point it seemed pointless.
>
> I know it's not exactly a valid thing to do, but I tried executing the
> afterstep binary (~/bin/afterstep) from the command line. I got the
> following:

AS as a window manager cannot start without X windows anyway.
You have to let X start the AS.

> ld.so.1: bin/afterstep: fatal: libXpm.so.4.8: open failed: No such file or
> directory
> Killed

Do you have the Xpm library installed? If yes, use the shell
variable $LD_LIBRARY_PATH to specify the path to the library.

Albert