Re: More problems buidling Afterstep on SunOS 5.5.1

Andrew Sullivan (asullivan@sprint.ca)
Fri, 28 May 1999 19:00:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 28 May 1999, Albert Dorofeev wrote:

> On Thu, May 27, 1999 at 11:36:20PM -0400, Sarwat Khan wrote:
> > Well, I've got more roadblocks. I'm going to list steps from the FAQ and
> > problems I have with them. This is the part that talks about installing
> > when not root.
>
> This part is not quite up to date (or so it seems).
> The directory tree structure has changed and the pathes
> are now different.

Well, yes & no.  That part refers to the old versions.  Yesterday (?) I
quoted the section just below that, which says that there's an install
script.  There _is_ an install script, and I _have_ checked how to make it
work to install in your home directory, so I know the instructions there
work.  I also see that they are somewhat unclear, which is my fault.

_Instead of_ doing the old "configure . . ." series of steps, the
install-script should be used.  It will allow you to set the directory for
installation.  Then, even though it tells you that you'll need root
access, you don't, so long as you're installing in a directory that you
can write to.

I hope that's clearer.  If not, please let me know what isn't clear.
Maybe I can make a clearer section.

Thanks,

A.

----