Re: More problems buidling Afterstep on SunOS 5.5.1

David Mihm (davemann@ionet.net)
Sat, 29 May 1999 00:29:45 -0500 (CDT)

	Have you read the README for the release in conjunction with the
README.solaris??  These detail how to install, and are authoritative over
the FAQ, as these can be updated more readily (obviously) than the FAQ!
	The README's point out that the dir's need to be created first,
and then ./configure needs to be supplied the desired options.  These
README's also include the point about Solaris (and the like) might require
options to configure for various image libraries and headers.  I'd also
suggest that if you still have a config.cache file, that you remove it.
These are the steps described in the README's, and they must be followed
or you will get the errors/problems as you have described below.
	Unfortunately the FAQ is extremely poor in this area, but it's all
done in peoples freetime, and as soon as there is time, I'm sure it'll be
ammended.

HTH
On Thu, 27 May 1999, Sarwat Khan wrote:

>Well, I've got more roadblocks. I'm going to list steps from the FAQ and
>problems I have with them. This is the part that talks about installing
>when not root.
>
>It says that all paths are relative to the AfterStep source directory. I
>assume this means the src directory, which is in the directory where
>configure is.
>
>> 1.Copy afterstep/afterstep to $HOME/bin/.
>
>Ok, done.
>
>> 2.Copy modules/*/(binaries) to $HOME/bin/.
>
>Huh? There's no modules/, and I don't really know how to tell what's a
>module. So I copied all the binaries in the subdirectories of src/ (like
>src/Animate/Animate) into $HOME/bin.
>
>> 3.Copy apps/*/(binaries) to $HOME/bin/.
>
>I have no idea what the apps binaries are. Hopefully it was handled by
>what I did in #2.
>
>> 4.Copy GNUstep/ to $HOME/.
>
>I couldn't find a GNUstep directory. I tried making a
>~/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep, and put in the contents of the afterstep/
>directory (the one in the same place as configure).
>
>BTW, is there a way to change the requirement from GNUstep/Library to just
>Library?
>
>> 5.Edit $HOME/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep/base.* to reflect the above paths
>> in the lines starting with ModulePath and PixmapPath.
>
>Those files were in the afterstep/ directory mentioned above. I tried
>editing those, but at this point it seemed pointless.
>
>I know it's not exactly a valid thing to do, but I tried executing the
>afterstep binary (~/bin/afterstep) from the command line. I got the
>following:
>
>ld.so.1: bin/afterstep: fatal: libXpm.so.4.8: open failed: No such file or
>directory
>Killed

p.s. README's are yr friend.