Re: More problems buidling Afterstep on SunOS 5.5.1

David Mihm (davemann@ionet.net)
Sat, 29 May 1999 00:34:06 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 28 May 1999, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

>On Fri, 28 May 1999, Albert Dorofeev wrote:
>
>> On Thu, May 27, 1999 at 11:36:20PM -0400, Sarwat Khan wrote:
>> > Well, I've got more roadblocks. I'm going to list steps from the FAQ and
>> > problems I have with them. This is the part that talks about installing
>> > when not root.
>>
>> This part is not quite up to date (or so it seems).
>> The directory tree structure has changed and the pathes
>> are now different.
>
>Well, yes & no.  That part refers to the old versions.  Yesterday (?) I
>quoted the section just below that, which says that there's an install
>script.  There _is_ an install script, and I _have_ checked how to make it
>work to install in your home directory, so I know the instructions there
>work.  I also see that they are somewhat unclear, which is my fault.
>
>_Instead of_ doing the old "configure . . ." series of steps, the
>install-script should be used.  It will allow you to set the directory for
>installation.  Then, even though it tells you that you'll need root
>access, you don't, so long as you're installing in a directory that you
>can write to.
>
>I hope that's clearer.  If not, please let me know what isn't clear.
>Maybe I can make a clearer section.

	Nope, this gentleman needs to follow the README.Solaris for his
libs and headers, and then the README for relocation fo not being root.
The install script will *NOT* work, as it's a blind install, with no
options and as he is finding out, no options will *NOT* work for him.