Re: [Re:] Netscape opens again on restart [was Re:Window Shades are going slow...

David Mihm (davemann@ionet.net)
Mon, 3 May 1999 12:26:21 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 3 May 1999, Chris Ross wrote:

>Joe Price wrote:
>>
>> David Mihm wrote:

>> >         I don't experience this behavior.  Perhaps you have in your
>> > autoexec file to re-source the .workspace-state file or similar file?  The
>> > internal Restart function of AfterStep does not start anymore apps, it
>> > merely initializes what you have in the autoexec file under the
>> > "RestartFunction".
>> >

>> I experience the same, I believe its netscape specific though because
>> it doesn't seem affect my xterms...
>
>For what it's worth, I get exactly the same symptoms. Netscape 4.51
>with
>AfterStep 1.7.90 so I would appreciate finding out the solution. If
>it's
>an FAQ I apologise but I can't find it.

	I guess I wasn't too clear.  When you exit AfterStep, it remembers
all the running applications and saves them in the .workspace-state file.
Netscape can not be restarted as it is saved in this file.  When Netscape
gets an eroneaous command line invocation string, it panics and starts as
the smalledst window it can. :)  To avoid this feature, you have a few
options.  1) Compile AfterStep with the --disable-savewindows option to
configure, this will not save any apps when you exit; 2) comment out the
Exec    "I"     sh ~/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep/.workspace_state & line
from the autoexec file; or 3) don't leave apps (Netscape) running when you
exit AfterStep/X.

HTH