Re: Animated GIFs in Afterstep?

Samuel Hocevar (sam@via.ecp.fr)
Mon, 3 May 1999 21:19:34 +0200

On Thu, Apr 29, 1999, Sasha Vasko wrote:
> Coplan wrote:
> > I got a truly cosmetic question that can be answered with a Yes or No
> > question:  Does Afterstep support Animated GIFs in any way?
>
> AfterStep does not support GIF and never will due to licensing
> problems -
> GIF is proprietry format.

I do not agree.

Only the LZW compression in GIF is proprietary and subject to
licensing. Thus any Open Source program may:
 - save images as GIF (uncompressed GIF format exists)
 - load uncompressed GIF images
 - load compressed GIF images (only *compression* is patented)

Look at, for instance, the Imagemagick program. It reads/write GIF
images while remaining in section 'main' of the Debian distribution.

Best regards,
--
Sam.