Re: Apps to be clickable as Desktop?

Michael Stenner (mstenner@phy.duke.edu)
Tue, 4 May 1999 08:59:41 -0400 (EDT)

This is an afterstep thing, but I don't think you can do what you want.

On Tue, 4 May 1999, Coplan wrote:

>Okay, I got a question...
>Am I able to allow a given application to react as a desktop if it were
>clicked?  Sorta like the way Xearth works, it's running, and it's there,
>but if you click on it, it reacts like a desktop and does a menu popup of
>whatever is linked to that button.

xearth just puts a picture in your background repeatedly.  It doesn't
behave as your desktop -- it IS your desktop.  repetition for clarity:
it changes your background picture just like afterstep or xv or xsetroot
or whatever... it just does it frequently.

Whan you click on your root window, the relevant lines in your feel file
are:
#
# Mouse actions
#
Mouse 1         R       A       PopUp "Start"
Mouse 2         R       A       WindowList 2
Mouse 3         R       A       WindowList

The "R" in the second column stand for root window.  So, when you click
mouse button 1 in the root window, the start menu comes up.  You can
change this to a "W" (stands for application window) so that start will
come up if you click in a window, but you probably don't want that - It
would make things like netscape significantly harder to use :)  There
doesn't seem to be a way to specify the behavior for each TYPE window
(by type, I mean netscape, xterm, etc.)

>I want to do this with another app,
>namely cmatrix.  Is this something I can do through afterstep?  Or do I
>have to write the cmatrix coder and ask him to code it into _his_ program?

It is an afterstep thing in the sense that all keystrokes and mouse
activities are picked up by afterstep - afterstep looks at them and
decides if it is supposed to do something with them.  Normally, it
just passes them on the the active application.

The only way the program could do it would be to have afterstep pass on
the mouse click and then the program somehow signal back to afterstep.
This isn't really practical.  Perhaps someday in the future the
key/mouse event settings will have a "Style" type app-specific ability,
but I kinda doubt it. (not that I'm a developer or anything... but I'm
pretty sure that _I_ wouldn't put it in).

					-Michael