Re: Y2k Compliance - Afterstep (warning -- almost off-topic)

Andrew Sullivan (asullivan@sprint.ca)
Tue, 4 May 1999 18:40:03 -0400 (EDT)

Ethan's remarks interested me, because I recently took responsibility for
a library's systems, including an HP-UX box.  Turns out HP-UX 10.20 is not
compliant, but I don't seem to be able to find out exactly how.  There's
just this big pile of patches that they're offering.  (Fortunately (!?),
our automation system provider is one of those, "You don't need to know,"
types.  So I don't have to do the work, I just have to clean up if it
breaks.  What a good deal!  Eeeuughhh.)

So, there's a meta-question to Scott Carlson's question: is there any way
that X or its children interact with date-conversion functions?  I'm not
worried about running out of bits for the seconds since 1970; rather, I
want to know (in case anyone knows) whether any (various) bits manipulate
the date _after_ conversion.

So, is Ethan still right in this case?  (My impression is, "Yes."  But
what do I know?)

----
Andrew Sullivan | asullivan@sprint.ca (home)| sullivana@bpl.on.ca (work)
                                   *  *  *