Re: Y2k Compliance - what's in a topic, anyway

Ethan (allanon@crystaltokyo.com)
Tue, 4 May 1999 17:08:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 4 May 1999, James wrote:

> On Tue, 4 May 1999, Ethan wrote:
>
> # The more serious question of what will happen in 2106 when the typical
> # 32-bit UNIX clock (which is based on Jan 1, 1970) rolls over is,
> # fortunately, a good long ways away. :)
>
> the standard response to that question is:
>
> "we'll all be using 64 bit processors"

:)

> It will be an interesting day... Why'd they pick 1970 anyway? What did unix
> machines before then use?! (all those cranky pdp/10 things that banks probably
> still use)

Work on UNIX didn't start until 1969, and wasn't formally presented until
late 1973.  Presumably they felt it was the beginning of an epoch, and
chose to start their clocks when UNIX as created...

----
Ethan Fischer
allanon@crystaltokyo.com
http://members.xoom.com/allanon1