Re: Applying Patches

Albert Dorofeev (albert@tigr.net)
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 17:08:11 +0200

On Tue, Jun 15, 1999 at 09:31:47AM -0500, Fisher Michael NMP" wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is my first time on the list so please forgive me if this is another
> stupid question from another stupid newbie.

This should already go to the front page of W.A.O
as a matter of fact. :)

> I recently upgraded to 1.7.90 and discovered that there were a bunch of
> patches that should be added to get some of the functionality fixed. I
> installed 1.7.90 onto RedHat 5.2 using the RPM, but all the patches are in
> .patch format. Would somebody please give me instructions on how to get the
> patches installed?

You put the tar file of AS into some directory.
You put the patch files into the same directory.
you untar the afterstep source
	[tar -xzf Afterstep-[version].tar.gz]
Unzip all patches (if they are zipped)
	gunzip 1.7.X-whatever.patch.gz
And then apply them as follows:
	cd Afterstep-1.7.90
	patch -p1 < ../1.7.X-whatever.patch

If you already compiled/configured AS before you'll
have to run 'make distclean' in the AS directory
(well, you do not really have to do it but, you know,
just in case, the configure script may be patched as well)

HTH
Tigr

PGP fingerprint = C9 49 D0 F3 41 FA 8C D8  E9 5C 6A D4 F1 6D 65 15