Re: patching

David Mihm (davemann@ionet.net)
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 17:35:00 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, Rex A. Roof wrote:

> okay, this is a dumb question, but, how should I patch my 1.7.90 ?
> I'm running FreeBSD.  I have my source untarred in /usr/local/src.
> I figured this would work:
>
> gzip -dc patchfile.gz | patch  (or patch -p0)
>
> do I have to move my source code to   AfterStep-current instead of the
> version number?

from the doc/code/Patch file in the distribution:
--
To apply a patch (or patches), I find the following method easiest:

* download a version of AS, and the patches for that version, say 1.7.0
  (so the patches will be named 1.7.0-xx-*)
* extract AS:
  tar xzf AfterStep-1.7.0.tar.gz
* apply the patches:
  cd AfterStep-1.7.0
  gzip -dc ../1.7.0-* | patch -p1

If the patches are not gzipped, change the last step to:

* cat ../1.7.0-* | patch -p1
--
You do _not_ need to rename, remove, reorder, or edit anything.  The above
assumes the patchfiles exist in the dir above the AfterStep-1.x dir, or in

HTH