Re: Working on SunOS 5.5.1 w/o root, mostly.

Ethan (allanon@crystaltokyo.com)
Mon, 31 May 1999 10:31:20 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 31 May 1999, Rex A. Roof wrote:

> > On Sun, 30 May 1999, Sarwat Khan wrote:
> >
> > 	I really don't understand the difficulty here.
> >
> > 	1) ./configure [optins]
> > 	2) make
> > 	3) make install
> > 	4) work out how to run with whatever display yr trying to do here,
> > 	   telnet or whatever.
>
> did you miss the fact that this guy is trying to install
> afterstep w/out having root on the machine?
>
> I think you did... so what he did was right, and you're wrong.

Actually, David's right.  With the proper configure options in step 1
above, it would likely have worked.  After Sarwat fixed the configure
bug, that is.

However, both Sarwat's method and David's would get the same job done,
which is getting AfterStep installed.  That's the important thing.  No
method that works is wrong, although some may be easier (and more likely
to work with the next version).

----
Ethan Fischer
allanon@crystaltokyo.com