AfterStep and *BSD [ was Re: more wharf problems. ]

David Mihm (davemann@ionet.net)
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 16:57:02 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, jack wrote:

>Today Rex A. Roof wrote:
>
>> > 	Are you using the _completely_ original default configuration
>> > files?  If so , it appears that AfterStep has somehow moved away from
>> > working with *BSD; if not, try _all_ _completely_ default config files.
>>
>> well, since before the install, I removed EVERYTHING afterstep from my
>> machine...  including /usr/local/share/afterstep and ~/G/L/A,
>> I'd say I'm using the totally default configuration.
>>
>> I also want to note, that after starting afterstep the first
>> time, nothing works now, no modules....
>> it worked the first time, but never after.
>
>That's one more time than I could get it to work with FreeBSD
>3.2-STABLE.  :(  _ALL_ my old configuration files were `hidden'
>before the install.  FWIW, 1.7.75 and 1.7.90 wouldn't run for me
>either but I haven't had time to do any digging. 1.7.49 has run
>like a champ here, on four different 3.x FreeBSD boxes, since it
>came out.

	As of now, none of the developers have or have access to *BSD
boxes.  The one developer who made sure 1.6.x worked with *BSD has been
indesposed.  So as it appears, AfterStep previous to 1.7.49 works with
*BSD, and does NOT work with any version after 1.7.49 .
	The BSD developer might have some time to look into correcting the
problems on *BSD system, but until then consider that the version break
mentioned above is the key to wether it works with *BSD or not.

	Thanks for mentioning the break point, that'll help a great deal!