Re: AfterStep and *BSD [ was Re: more wharf problems. ]

Frederick Bruckman (fb@enteract.com)
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 07:28:28 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 13 Jun 1999, jack wrote:

> Reading from pipes in module.c is where it barfs.  There was a
> patch committed to the 3.x branch recently to fix a potential
> race problem in pipes, but I don't recall the specifics.  I've
> got my test box building the latest FBSD version now, but it's a
> slow machine :(, when it finishes if that doesn't help I'll see
> what I can find.

I've got a kludge that works! It uses recvfrom() with MSG_WAITALL|MSG_PEEK
to get the command size, and to make sure the whole command line is in the
pipe, and then loops without either until it gets it all. Would the
developer list be a better forum to discuss this? Is that list
operational? I subscribed last week, but I haven't yet gotten a single
message.

For those interested, I'm working on a netbsd package: work in progress at
<ftp://ftp.enteract.com/users/fb/NetBSD/pkg/afterstep-current.tar.gz>. The
patches in question are patches/patch-a[ef], in the tar-file. These are
more a "proof of concept" than a fix (seems to work).