Re: more errors

David Mihm (davemann@ionet.net)
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 14:47:27 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, James wrote:

>On 13 Jun 1999, Doug Alcorn wrote:
>
># you can see what is happening.  Alternatively, you can 'startx >
># startx.out 2>&1' and then look at that file after you get started up
>
>it's
>
>startx 2>&1 startx.out
>
>isn't it? I can never remember the '2>&1' bit, but what you typed looks
>as though it redirects stdout from startx into the file startx.out, then
>redirects that to stdout and stderr (which won't work because files don't
>produce output when used like that).

'startx > startx.out 2>&1' is correct, man bash.  The line you have
supplied above will not do any redirection of either stderr or stdout, and
will also kick back an error unless the file startx.out exists, as it is
not being used for anything but being passed on as arguments to xinit.

man bash for redirection criterion, or the appropriate shell that you use.