Re: Swallowing Pager takes very long

David Mihm (davemann@ionet.net)
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 11:13:30 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Christian Kaeunicke wrote:

>I recently updated to Afterstep 1.7.116 and from then on starting my
>afterstep session allways took a lot longer than before.
>Everything goes as normal but when it comes to swallowing my pager my
>system (the X - process, to be exact) allways needs 3-4 seconds of time
>to finish swallowing my pager.

	AfterStep now builds the menu by default upon startup all the
time, if you are running other processes or have a high load, it might
appear to take more time to start, with this being the reason.  Try the
last patch 07 and see if the fixes to the socket code correct anything
(doubtfully).

>It's not a real problem as everything works fine afterwards, but I
>found some error messages in my ~/.X.err file, so I thought it might be
>better to tell you. (I attached my ~.X.err file to this message)

	Looking at the file, first off you have an error in the
(pressumably) look.file you are using -> "AfterStep: error in config: ^D
in ^D line" <- something is amiss here since the numbers aren't being
input into stderr.  You are also sending erroneaous options to whatever
"wmxmms" is.  I'd say that the socket patch 07 will fix the next error
messages about window errors and such.
	I'm still betting that the increase in time at start-up is due to
what I stated above.

HTH