Re: GNOME/AS

Ethan (allanon@crystaltokyo.com)
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 01:54:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, James wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Ethan wrote:
>
> # With the default feel, you should be able to right click on the bottom
> # bar to move the window.
>
> i'm using feel.autoraise (hey, i'm lazy, why waste energy clicking on
> windows to get their attention!)

Out of all the default feels, only feel.PureNeXT doesn't define the right-
click-on-lowbar-to-move function.  Try it.

> DefaultPlacement=10 10
>
> which'd make any new windows appear at 10,10 (or whatever) if the window
> can't be placed automagically. You could then combine it with SmartPlacement
> so that windows normally appear where there isn't one, but if that doesn't
> work then they'd appear at 10,10 (or whatever).

Then all of your windows would be stacked on top of each other.  Is this
really what you want?

> # ... if neither are specified, or SmartPlacement can't place the window
> # and RandomPlacement isn't specified, AfterStep falls back to asking the
> # user to manually place the window.
>
> My gnome panel's gone weird, once AS has loaded and the panel loads it
> doesn't appear, i get an outline and can plonk the panel on the screen
> anywhere (but then it goes to it's normal location).

Sounds like Gnome panel doesn't like being moved.  This isn't an AfterStep
problem - talk to the Gnome people.

----
Ethan Fischer
allanon@crystaltokyo.com