Re: No work on distributed HOME-directories

Gerd Heide (gerd.heide@hrz.tu-chemnitz.de)
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 09:51:40 +0200 (MEST)

Hallo Ethan,

thanks for the slippy answer. Afterstep work fine with socket under /tmp and
a only user.
If I quit the windowmanager, socket isn't deleted. Then it's impossible for
another user, to log on with afterstep.

Please help me once again.

Gerd Heide

On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Ethan wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Gerd Heide wrote:
>
> > we have a problem with AfterStep, version 1.7.90, and HOME-directories.
> >
> > Now AfterStep creates sockets in HOME-directories. This is very bad!
> > Often HOME-directories are realised on "distributed filesystems" using NFS
> > or AFS, e.g.
>
> Ouch.  The inherited pipes we used before were switched to UNIX domain
> named sockets to allow modules to be run by a program other than AfterStep
> (eg, a shell).  However, this would certainly cause problems under your
> circumstances.
>
> > What is the solution? Can we put the sockets to a local filesystem
> > ( /tmp,...) ?
>
> Using a local filesystem would probably be the best solution.  To change
> the directory AfterStep uses for the socket, change the following line
> in src/afterstep/module.c (should be around line 74):
>
> sprintf(tmp, "%s/connect.%s", AFTER_NONCF, display_string);
>
> Change AFTER_NONCONF to whatever you like, such as "/tmp":
>
> sprintf(tmp, "%s/connect.%s", "/tmp", display_string);
>
> That should do the trick.  The modules read an X property set by
> AfterStep, so they shouldn't require any changes.
>
> ----
> Ethan Fischer
> allanon@crystaltokyo.com
> http://members.xoom.com/allanon1
>

> --
>    WWW:   http://www.afterstep.org/
>    FTP:   ftp://ftp.afterstep.org/

Gerd Heide, TU Chemnitz, | Phone: +049 (0)371 5311525  Fax: +049 (0)371 5311629
 URZ, D-09107 Chemnitz   | E-mail: gerd.heide@hrz.tu-chemnitz.de