Re: Afterstep click-to-close and feel/look reload

Mark Schreiber (schreib1@marshall.edu)
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 01:43:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Your solution to the delete-window button is a nice one.  I think you

Thank you... :-)

> should be able to get rid of the "beep" function there, although I can't
> remember how to send a "do nothing" command.  The man pages will be

Two solutions: first, replace
	Beep	"Motion"
with
	Nop	"Motion"
or just delete the line.

The reason I had a Beep "Motion" line is that, despite the fact that you
get an annoying beep (which *should* be reserved for errors in good UI),
you also get an audio message -- you made a good click, but the system
thought you didn't want to delete the window.  If an app is frozen or
doesn't respond to close-box events (Usernet or my quickie Xlib programs),
you won't hear a beep...so you know that it's the app's fault, not your
own that the window didn't close.

Incidently, the command associated with "Motion" kicks in if you hold the
mouse down for too long *or* move it -- not only if you move it.

Is there any way to get this thing to be done *properly*, though, without
writing any new code for AfterStep?  I'd like to see AfterStep "depress" a
title bar button only when the mouse button has been originally depressed
over the title bar button and is currently held down over the button, a la
Mac/Win.  AfterStep should then only execute the function/command tied to
the title bar button if the mouse button is released while the title bar
button is depressed (again, a la Mac/Win).

If this capability isn't in AfterStep...how about a new property in the
feels file...something like "Use sticky title bar buttons" that determines
whether title bar buttons stay down even after the mouse is moved off of
them?  The "tracking" code is already there -- it's used for the menus --
so that wouldn't have to be written...the option to tie it to the title
bar buttons would have to exist, though.

Best of luck,
Mark Schreiber