Re: Afterstep click-to-close and feel/look reload

Mark Schreiber (schreib1@marshall.edu)
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 01:22:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, David Mihm wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, Mark Schreiber wrote:
>
> >Two questions: first, is there any way with the current code to get
> >AfterStep's "delete" title bar button to act like a Mac or Win box?
> >Currently, clicking on the delete titlebar button simply turns the pointer
> >into a kill cursor, which will kill whatever window it's released on.
> >I'd like to see moving the mouse cursor anywhere off the delete button
> >causing the delete to be canceled.  Is this possible?
>
> 	Unless I'm not understaning this question/comment correctly.... As
> it is now, if you click on the "X" (Close) button and hols th mouse, then
> that skull and crossbones appears.  When you move the mouse off the window
> (and onto desktop) no window will be closed/killed.  Likewise if you move
> the mouse off that window and onto another window, it will then close/kill
> that window.  So, either I'm misunderstanding your problem, or you were
> unawars of this, or your desktop is too crowded.

Yes...you're right -- I guess I wasn't very clear.  I realize that trying
to kill the root window cancels the action, but I still can't seem to
properly adapt to this behavior (I don't know whether true NeXTStep acts
like this or not, but it's different enough from my Mac to drive me
bonkers).  It's in the X-Windows tradition...but still a bit foreign to
me.  My instinct when trying to close a window, but then changing my mind
is to move the mouse off the close box and not pay attention to wherever I
release the button.  Often, if I have several Navigator windows open on
one virtual desktop, it becomes a bit of an effort to find blank space and
properly hit it.

Plus, it's simply not an ideal interface, at least to me.  The only time
this behavior would prove beneficial is if you got in the habit of
clicking on the nearest close box, dragging your mouse to the window that
you want to close, and then releasing it.  Doing so just doesn't feel
natural, and I doubt that many people do this.  So this behavior isn't
really a benefit.  At the least, it forces you to take time looking for
open desk space (admittedly, on a 21" monitor, it isn't so bad...), and it
has the potential of killing a window you wanted to keep, if you forget or
accidently hit that window.

> >My second question: do the update look and feel commands currently work?
> >(I'm using 1.7.90).  If I modify an existing feel, it seems like I have to
> >change to another feel, then back for the feel to be updated.  Simply
> >choosing "Update feel" doesn't seem to have any effect.  :-(
>
> 	the Update look & Update feel menu items were removed, as they did
> not do what you expected.  If you simply edit your look/feel and then
> select it from the menu, it will then become activated with the most
> recent changes.  There is no need to slecect another look/feel then the
> one you just edited.

Duh...Thanks.  I should have thought of this.  I ripped all the "system"
menus out -- the ones that appear even if you don't have any menus of your
own defined, and relocated things to a "Window Manager" submenu on the
main menu.  I *thought* that I had symlinks in place, so that modifying
the Windows or Desktop or whatever system menus would update my own...but
I guess either something went wrong or my version isn't new enough...

> HTH

Best of luck,
Mark Schreiber