Re: No work on distributed HOME-directories

Frederick Bruckman (fb@enteract.com)
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 04:00:43 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, Albert Dorofeev wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 02, 1999 at 03:23:50PM +0200, Gerd Heide wrote:
> >
> > thanks for the answers. I have writed lines to create and testing a
> > socket directory "/tmp/afterstep-{uid}". I hope, it's allright. It works
> > on my computer.
>
> I was wondering if it would actually be possible to run
> two AfterSteps this way? If you create pipes in
> /tmp/afterstep-uid-pid directory that would mean you
> will have different pipes for each instance of AfterStep...

You can do it now if the servers have different display numbers, but
not well if both are display :0 on different hosts.
/tmp/afterstep-{uid} seems to take care of all cases. There's still
the problem of sharing configurations, and especially of sharing
~/G/L/A/.workspace_state.

> They should be cleaned up at exit...

Maybe so. They're not cleaned up now.

Tell me again why the sockets go under the home directory. Is it
really possible to run the modules on another host than the one
"afterstep" is running on? A more extensible way to achieve that goal
might be to construct a "proxy" module, that uses {ssh,rsh} to start a
process on the remote host, and so on.