Re: root-tail or newer?

Oystein Viggen (oysteivi@tihlde.org)
10 Aug 1999 22:56:28 +0200

Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> If you can figure out how to invoke ssh-add before asload,
> you'll once again only have to enter the passphrase once.

That one is easy:
in .xinitrc or whatever:
exec ssh-agent runwm

in runwm:
#xiterm w/ssh-add in the middle of the screen (1088x816) with nice font
xiterm -g 67x2+320+390 -fn 6x13 -e ssh-add
exec afterstep

Maybe a bit cumbersome, but it works well. I have run this for months
without a problem. The only thing that bothered me was having to type
my password everytime I restarted X (which is everytime I boot, which
is everytime a new Linux kernel is released). It felt a bit like
running Win9x with password...  :)

Come to think of it, it should be possible to run your window-manager
from the other computer altogether if you use this method. Just
replace the 'exec afterstep' with 'exec ssh -f <host>
/usr/X11R6/bin/afterstep' or something like that. (I haven't actually
tried this, though).

Oystein
--
"But you know what they say - The world wasn't built in a day"