Re: Why AS

Darren Eckhoff (eckhoffdl@ingalls.com)
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 15:37:32 +0000

Let's not beat-up on RedHat because they released a version of AfterStep
before it was considered "stable".  After all, consider the only other
choice they had at the time... NO AFTERSTEP AT ALL!  When was the
last "stable" release of AfterStep that they could have used at the time,
and would it have been better than what was released?

Consider this, the majority of the e-mail's I've received since posting
my views on 1.5.X have been to NOT recommend upgrading.  The additional
features, they say, do not make up for the things that worked fine in
1.5.X and broke in 1.6.X or 1.7.X.  On top of that, I have yet to hear
of any super-duper feature in the later releases that totally would convince
me to upgrade at the risk of running into a few bugs.

I would love to upgrade, but first give me a release with all the necessary
patches built-in and all the major bugs worked out.  Maybe the developers
should hold off on adding new things and concentrating on fixing the
existing problems in order to put out a stable release of 1.7.8.23.5.16.99
(or whatever, you get the point).

Let's not lose site of the fact that we all LOVE AfterStep, I just don't want
to wind up with something that might change that attitude.  After all, how
hard is it to downgrade from 1.7.X to 1.5.X if I'm not happy with it?

Darren Eckhoff
Chairman of the board
He-Man AfterStep Lover's Club