Re: Why AS

Kurt Fitzner (kf_bulk@nexus.v-wave.com)
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 12:46:21 -0600 (MDT)

On 12-Aug-99 Ethan wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, Darren Eckhoff wrote:
>
>> Let's not beat-up on RedHat...

> I feel much better  about the 1.7.90 included in RH 6.0

The reason they did is simple...
REDHAT = GNOME
Afterstep 1.7 = GNOME
Afterstep <1.7 != GNOME
therefore...
REDHAT != Afterstep < 1.7

I think it would be a wise move to slap a 'stable' sticker on a version
(any version) of Afterstep that has GNOME support.

Any relateively recent 1.7.x version of Afterstep is a helluva (!) lot more
stable than some of the experimental stuff Linus/Alan have stuffed in the
kernal and called 'stable' in the 2.2.x kernel series (2.2.8 was a disaster).
In light of this, the minor problems in 1.7.X couldn't possibly cause too
much grief, and the benifets of getting on GNOME's list of
compliant/partially compiant window managers would be a great boost, I'd
think.

        Kurt.