Re: workspace_state

Frederick Bruckman (fb@enteract.com)
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 07:00:56 -0500 (CDT)

On 13 Aug 1999, Christian B. Wiik wrote:

> When shutting down Afterstep these two applications get saved in the
> workspace_state file, and on next startup I get these applications on
> my desktop in addition to those in the Wharf.
>
> Licq and its icon is both in the same executable, and I can understand
> why Afterstep sees this as a normal window. But wmxmms is a standalone
> executable that only shows an icon, starts xmms when clicked and then
> communicates with xmms.

AFAIK, there are no session managers that do a perfect job of saving
state. The nice thing about Afterstep is that .workspace_state is a
shell script, which can be edited. I find it easy enough to twiddle it
to do exactly what I want, and then lock it down with "chmod a-r". Of
course it never changes unless I want it to. Works for me.