Re: break the desk 0 mob! ...and anti-intuitive desk keys

Michael Stenner (mstenner@phy.duke.edu)
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 19:15:54 -0400

On Fri, Aug 13, 1999 at 05:59:46PM -0400, Alexy Khrabrov wrote:

> For some reason, AS puts all the xterms on desk 1,
> regardless of where I opened them.  Since I have a
> red-colored root nxterm on desk 2, I hate to
> catapult it there manually upon every AS launch.
> Same applies to Netscape.

By any chance are you using the StartsOnDesk feature in the database
file?  These dictate which desk a given application will start on.

> (Netscape also shrinks to a thin slice, but I
> guess that's an NS problem?  The slice migrates to
> the desk 0 also, annoyingly.)

look into the options found in Netscape.ad (try "locate
Netscape.ad").  Most of them can be put in your .Xdefaults or
.Xresources.  That file solved MANY of my netscape troubles.

> I have different desks allocated for different
> tasks.  As such, I use them a lot, and here are my
> questions/complaints.  I have been away from the
> list for a while, so if you posted an answer
> before, just hint a searcheable quote please, and
> sorry for redundancies.

I'm sad to say that the most appropriate searchable quote would be
"RTM" (although the search may fail without an "F" in there :) ).
Most of this is covered clearly in the (albeit voluminous)
documentation.  On the other hand, if you're not willing to read the
docs, don't complain about the configuration.

> 1.  Within each desk, there are originally 4
>     quadrants.  In RH5.2 1,5.x AS, there was a 2x3
>     single desk pager.  In 1.6, it refuses to make
>     any desks but 2x2, ignoring that parameter,
>     although obeying the number of desks and pager
>     layout and fonts.  Why is that?

Let me get this straight.  You set the DeskTopSize to something other
than 2x2 (like 3x3 or something) in the base.XXbpp file in your
~/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep/ directory. ( Here, XX is the colordepth
that you are using.)  And it is still 2x2?

> 2.  Switching between desks is counterintuitive
>     when compared with switching between
>     quadrants.  With the quadrants, arrow keys are
>     relative; with the desks, they are hard-wired!
>     I could understand that if the desks can be
>     visualized

They are not hard wired.  They are very configurable, but they are not
built the same way as "quadrants".  Thus, they cannot behave the same
way (I think).  If you take some time to get used to it, I think
you'll find it very convenient.  It's very fast, actually.

> 3.  in the reverse T pattern (can they?), but I
>     prefer to keep the pager stripe vertical to
>     save space.

I don't think you can make a reverse T.

> 4.  BTW, can I hide/show pager at will?...

you can iconify it.  If you want it to become an invisible icon, then
give it "NoIcon" in database.  You might want to NOT give it
WindowListSkip, though.  I think you'll need to iconify it using a key
bound to Iconify:   e.g.
Key F2          A       SC      Iconify

> 5.  So is there a way to make Ctrl-Shift-<arrow>
>     to go through desks in order, not bring you to
>     the same fixed desk for each arrow?

Yes.  Look at "man afterstep"  and check out the desk command.
Put this in your feel file:
Key Up          A       SC      Desk 1
Key Down        A       SC      Desk -1

Note: this does not wrap, (at least not at any sane value), so it will
let you wander off to desk 1000000 if you lean on the wrong keys :)

Have fun!
					-Michael

--
  Michael Stenner			Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics	  mstenner@phy.duke.edu