Re: Why AS

Darren Eckhoff (eckhoffdl@ingalls.com)
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 21:22:05 +0000

Here's an exert from one of the e-mails I received after my initial
post on AS 1.5.X, the author wishes to remain anonymous:

Oh, and my reason for upgrading, gnome?  I hade to
stop loading it cause it would regularly crash my
xserver, and I would loose all the stuff i was doing
at the time of the crash.  It got real anoying, and
once the aggrevation exceeded the benefit, well...no
more gnome.  I would LOVE to see 100% gnome
compliance.  Until then and until gnome is more
finished, I'll live w/o it.

Now I ask you, is "stable" just a sticker?
If version 1.6.any is considered stable, why do I have to
apply 5 patches to it after I install it.  Let's define
STABLE.  It doesn't have to be 100% problem free, just
has to be something I can count on.  I use Linux with
AfterStep 1.5.X primarily at my work place (not at home
just to tinker with some Window Manager) because I know
it won't give me one bit of trouble and embarrass me in
front of my Windoze peers.

Darren Eckhoff