Re: X, Afterstep or Xperfmon++

Doug Alcorn (doug@lathi.net)
01 Sep 1999 18:12:56 -0400

Ethan <allanon@crystaltokyo.com> writes:

> On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, James Ainslie wrote:
>
> > I keep on getting an error "cant allocate colormap entry for "pale green"
>
> 2. Switch to a video mode with more colors.  To try switching to 16bpp:
>
> xinit -- -bpp 16

IME, this is almost always the problem.  I don't know what OS you are
running or which version of X, but with Xfree86 the default color
depth is 8bpp.  Colors get used up fast.  If it is at all possible,
try to go to 16bpp.

The best way to determin your bit depth is to use 'xdpyinfo' while you
are running X.  If you grep on "depth", it should give you lines like
these:

    depth 1, bits_per_pixel 1, scanline_pad 32
    depth 24, bits_per_pixel 24, scanline_pad 32
  depths (1):    24
  depth of root window:    24 planes
    depth:    24 planes

As you can see, I run 24 bits per pixel.  The line that matters the
most from this is the one that says "depth:	24 planes".  This is
actually a line from a subsection for the default visual.
--
 (__)  Doug Alcorn
 oo /  doug@lathi.net