Re: X, Afterstep or Xperfmon++

Ethan (allanon@crystaltokyo.com)
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 02:10:49 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, James Ainslie wrote:

> I keep on getting an error "cant allocate colormap entry for "pale green"
> when I run xperfmon++
> The only way I can resolve it is by reconfiguring X. This is mucho
> confusticating. Any Ideas..I have tried lists for X and Xperfmon++ this is
> kind of a last straw thing ?
>
> Help :(

I've never heard of Xperfmon++, but I'll give this one a shot anyway.
Sounds like you're running out of colors in your colormap, so anything
that increases the number of colors available will probably help.

1. Run the app with -install, if it supports this option.
2. Switch to a video mode with more colors.  To try switching to 16bpp:

xinit -- -bpp 16

3. Reduce the number of colors that other apps are using, including the
   window manager (hopefully AfterStep :).  This can be accomplished by
   not running any apps but the window manager, and choosing a look or
   theme that uses very few colors.

Hope this helps.

----
Ethan Fischer