Re: non-configurable?

David G. Watson (dgwatson@kent.edu)
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 09:55:24 -0400

On Thu, Sep 02, 1999 at 09:25:06AM -0400, mac12@andante.STUDENT.CWRU.Edu wrote:
> One of the reasons I went with AfterStep was it was easy to configure, and
> that I could configure it by editing self-explanatory files.  I am rather
> flaberghasted to find a 'non-configurable' directory in the new version I
> just installed (version 1.6).  Can anyone tell me what this directory does
> for a living, and why I should stay away from it?

The non-configurable directory contains pre-parsed config files, from what I
can tell, and if you edit anything in there it will be overwritten.

> Well, actually, I probably would have left it be if it weren't for the
> fact that I believe it is causing me grief.  I have configured a simple
> start menu, with all the afterstep stuff in a submenu.  However, there is
> one annoying little greyed out option that is always at the top called
> Debian.  Nothing in my directory structure says anything about debian, and
> the only two places where I could find any reference to debian were in
> ~/GNUstep/library/AfterStep/non-configurable/startmenu,
> where there was a fragment that looked like this:
> PopUp "Start"
>  Title "start"
> PopUp "Debian" /Debian
>  MiniPixmap "mini-menu.xpm"
>  PopUp "MyPrograms" 2
>  MiniPixmap "mini-folder.xpm"
>  PopUp "AfterStep" 3
>  MiniPixmap "mini-folder.xpm"
>  EndPopUp

If you want, I can e-mail you my /etc/menu-methods/afterstep file that I know
works with 1.7.x, and should work with 1.6.  The way the stock one that comes
with Debian seems to work is it tries to use some sort of "hook" file - but
I couldn't get it to work right with a non-Debian version of AS.

-Dave Watson