Re: non-configurable?

Andrew Sullivan (asullivan@sprint.ca)
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 12:02:28 -0400 (EDT)

In fact, I _can_ tell you what's going on here.  Debian has done what RH
has also done, which is to alter the AS package without putting proper
notices in the changelog (or, at least, without making their changes clear
for later versions).

The problem is that Debian, like RH, likes to control X window managers
system-wide, and to adjust their menus for a common menu across all wm's.
That's what the Debian menu item comes from.

This is somehow contoleed by some setting in /etc/X11/*, but I haven't
figured out which one.  I'm using Debian now, so once I figure it out,
I'll post more details here.  My belief, however, is that it's contoleed
by a file under /etc/X11/afterstep; that's the first place I'd look.
(Knowing that the AS version included with Deb was older, I didn't install
it here at home.  At work, however, I get the same behaviour as you do.)

One of the great disadvantages of Deb and RH package management, I think,
is that they usually just use the default man pages.  They shouldn't;
instead, they should make an addendum saying something like "Debian [or
whoever] varies from this man page.  See [something] for details."  The
/usr/doc/afterstep stuff that I've seen on my machine is just incomplete,
and I find it pretty annoying.

A.

----
Andrew Sullivan | asullivan@sprint.ca (home)| sullivana@bpl.on.ca (work)