Re: problem after aterm upgrade

Frederick Bruckman (fb@enteract.com)
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 11:38:13 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, Michael Stenner wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 26, 1999 at 01:19:39PM -0500, Sasha Vasko wrote:
> > >How can I get programs executed via the -e to find my environment
> > >variables?
>
> > start is as : aterm -ls -e mutt
> > -ls switch tells that it's going to be a login shell, in which case
> > it is forcing bash to reread ~/.bashrc
>
> OK, this didn't work.

Best place to set generic X environment variables is probably in your
~/.xsession or ~/.xinitrc file. I set variables useful to "lynx",
"pine", and X apps there (NNTPSERVER, MAILCAPS, XENVIRONMENT), and
then end it with "exec afterstep", so "afterstep" and every child
process inherits that environment. Remember, ~/.xsession (or
~/.xinitrc, as applies) is just a shell script, she-bang or not.

You can also try something like 'aterm -e sh -ic "mutt"'. The "-i"
tells bash it's an interactive shell, so read ~/.bashrc; the "-c"
takes a single argument, a command or shell-function, and if it's more
than one word it needs to either be quoted, or have spaces escaped,
e.g. 'aterm -geometry 108x36 -e sh -ic lynx\ -color'.