Re: non-configurable?

Gregory T. Norris (haphazard@socket.net)
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 22:39:19 -0500

On Fri, Sep 03, 1999 at 12:02:28PM -0400, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> One of the great disadvantages of Deb and RH package management, I think,
> is that they usually just use the default man pages.  They shouldn't;
> instead, they should make an addendum saying something like "Debian [or
> whoever] varies from this man page.  See [something] for details."  The
> /usr/doc/afterstep stuff that I've seen on my machine is just incomplete,
> and I find it pretty annoying.

At the risk of going off-topic, I'd suggest that you submit a bug-report
against such packages as you encounter them.  I maintain a few minor
Debian packages (although nothing as impressive as AfterStep :-), and
have occasionally needed to make adjustments to the upstream settings...
so that the location of configuration files conforms with Debian policy,
for example.  When that occurs I make a point of ensuring that the
manpages and other documentation get updated appropriately, for exactly
the reasons you describe,  I can't speak for the other maintainers, but
if someone informed me that I'd overlooked updating some documentation,
I'd *definately* take the time to correct it.