Re: Application background colours

David Mihm (davemann@ionet.net)
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 17:33:51 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Chris Dunn wrote:

>I'm running Afterstep 1.6.10 on a Linux 2.0.36 kernel.
>
>I'm finding some curious behaviour with xfmail under Afterstep and would
>appreciate a pointer towards the root of the problem.
>
>When I add the program to the start menu and access it from that menu it
>displays with three background colours, blue for the folder list, white for the
>message content panel and grey for all else.
>
>When it is added to the wharf and accessed from the wharf it substitutes a
>quite disgusting shade of pale green for the areas that were previously grey.

	The reason is that you must be running X in 8bpp, therefore your
colors are limited.  So when you add the icon to the wharf, it takes up
several more colors, thus leaving the app to try to match a color already
being used to what the color should be.  A solution would be to not run at
8bpp, man XF86Config and search for ColorDepth (enter "/" and then enter
"ColorDepth") to make default colordepth not 8bpp.  If you have no choice
but to run at 8bpp, you'll need to reduce the number of colors; aweb site
is linked from the Links section of the AfterStep website.

HTH