Re: colorls

Andrew Sullivan (asullivan@sprint.ca)
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 12:48:11 -0400 (EDT)

Also, along with what everyone else said, sometimes your login shell and
your non-login shells act differently.  Under bash (I believe that's the
default FreeBSD shell, no?), this is related to how you've set up your
.profile, .bashrc, and .bash_profile.

Usually, the call to an xterm is not a call to a login shell (so while
running X you are only logged in once -- the extra shell is called from
within your login shell.  This also has security implications, because
then you don't need UTMP support in your xterm).  So you need to make sure
that non-login shells support colorls.  If, at the console, you type
'bash', then do 'ls', and no longer have colour, your problem is that your
non-login shell does not support colour.

----
Andrew Sullivan | asullivan@sprint.ca (home)| sullivana@bpl.on.ca (work)