Re: Sound...another try

Andrew Sullivan (asullivan@sprint.ca)
Sun, 3 Oct 1999 17:39:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 3 Oct 1999, Nico wrote:

> Playing audio on localhost.localdomain using /dev/audio, one moment
> please...
> cat: /root/GNUstep/Library/Afterstep/desktop/sounds/beep.au: No such file or
       ^^^^^^

First of all, do you have the same problem as a proper user?  You should
_never_ do daily stuff as root, and lots of distriutions have various
strangeness which tends to make running all but admin functions while
root.  This is a Good Thing.  If you disagree, well, you're wrong.  It's
just too easy to make a mess while logged in as root.

> *AudioPath                      ~/GNUstep/Library/Afterstep/desktop/sounds

I wonder if the "~" isn't the problem here, precisely because you're
running as root.

> *AudioPlayCmd                   /usr/bin/showaudio

And this one exisits, right?  If you issue 'which showaudio', do you get
"/usr/bin/showaudio"?

These are the places I'd start looking, anyway.

----
Andrew Sullivan | asullivan@sprint.ca (home)| sullivana@bpl.on.ca (work)
                                   *  *  *
AfterStep FAQ: http://afterstep.davidv.net or http://www.afterstep.org/FAQ