Re: Serious Aterm/Afterstep problem

Frederick Bruckman (fb@enteract.com)
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 09:53:22 -0500 (CDT)

On 22 Oct 1999, Christian B. Wiik wrote:

> Every now and then Afterstep (1.6.10) screws up its
> focus-behavior. This means that there's impossible to move the focus
> to another window. Killing the window with the focus might help a bit,
> but AS must be restarted to act 100% normal again.

I see something like this with 1.7.150 and earlier. May be some kind
of race condition, as it only occurs (for me) when switching windows
while the load average is high. A window will stay in the top layer
even when iconized; the only way to straighten it out is to quit that
window. Happens with all kinds of windows, xterms too.

> Then _all_ Aterms not in my top-left virtual page dies with the message:
> "aterm: XError: Request: 73 . 0, Error: 8".
>
> Further studies shows that it's the restart of the Pager that triggers
> the error. And that this does _not_ happen with xterms.

Haven't seen that, but I'm not running Aterms. That error doesn't look
to have much to do with Afterstep as such.

> If this is a known bug that have been fixed in the 1.7.* series,
> please let me know!

1.7.x is a mixed bag, but on the whole, I feel it is already more
stable than 1.6.10. I'm running it on NetBSD-1.4.1-{i386,mac68k}.