Re: Serious Aterm/Afterstep problem

Chris Lee (mental0ne@hotmail.com)
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 10:04:38 PDT

I just (out of coincidence) reproduced this same error in 1.7.149. Went from
my aterm running BitchX over to Netscape on another page, clicked a
bookmark, and while my load was high, went back to the aterm on the other
page. All aterms on my desktop were in the background.
I remedied this simply by restarting AS but I see no errors in the console.
I'd almost say that X itself is the common problem since I had this same
thing happen before when redhat5.9beta (XFree86 3.3.3.1) and aterm 0.3.4 on
AfterStep 1.6.6 and 1.6.10

dunno what exactly the problem is... perhaps it's something for the devel
team to have a look at...

-=Bogart=-

----Original Message Follows----
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
Subject: Re: Serious Aterm/Afterstep problem
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 09:53:22 -0500 (CDT)

On 22 Oct 1999, Christian B. Wiik wrote:

 > Every now and then Afterstep (1.6.10) screws up its
 > focus-behavior. This means that there's impossible to move the focus
 > to another window. Killing the window with the focus might help a bit,
 > but AS must be restarted to act 100% normal again.

I see something like this with 1.7.150 and earlier. May be some kind
of race condition, as it only occurs (for me) when switching windows
while the load average is high. A window will stay in the top layer
even when iconized; the only way to straighten it out is to quit that
window. Happens with all kinds of windows, xterms too.

 > Then _all_ Aterms not in my top-left virtual page dies with the message:
 > "aterm: XError: Request: 73 . 0, Error: 8".
 >
 > Further studies shows that it's the restart of the Pager that triggers
 > the error. And that this does _not_ happen with xterms.

Haven't seen that, but I'm not running Aterms. That error doesn't look
to have much to do with Afterstep as such.

 > If this is a known bug that have been fixed in the 1.7.* series,
 > please let me know!

1.7.x is a mixed bag, but on the whole, I feel it is already more
stable than 1.6.10. I'm running it on NetBSD-1.4.1-{i386,mac68k}.